Monday 28 March 2011

Neill's A-Z of Awesomeness 2: JAPAN

A_Z JAPAN colour

From Akira to Dragonball Z, and all manner of awesomeness in between.

I'm not going to go on about how shocked and saddened I've been by recent events in Japan; I don't really have the words. What I'm going to do instead is briefly outline what I'm going to try and do as my small bit to help.

Starting on March 31st, I will be drawing and posting a picture a day, one for every letter of the alphabet, of Things That Are Awesome. I did something like this once before and people seemed to like it, so I thought I'd try it again but with a couple of differences: 1) this time we'll be focussing on the insanely rich field of JAPANESE Things That Are Awesome, and 2) I will be asking people to sponsor me in this endeavour. I've set up a JustGiving page where you can go and support the project, at http://www.justgiving.com/neillcameron. All money raised will go to GlobalGiving's Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund, where it will be used to support organizations providing relief and aid to victims.



Please do chip in if you can! This is going to be rather a lot of work and if no-one sponsors me I'm, uh, going to feel totally stupid.

To join in, you can suggest things for me to draw in comments on this blog, at my twitter feed or on the A-Z of Awesomeness Facebook Group. Feel free to suggest anything you like from the worlds of Manga, Anime, Gaming, Movies, Music, and I will attempt to draw the best suggestions. Bonus points for alliteration, and it might be nice to get a bit of cross-cultural exchange going on in there - if, for example, for 'D' you were to suggest Doctor Who and Doraemon Dunking Donuts Daintily, well then I would probably have to draw that. You get the idea.

I'll be posting the first picture on Thursday 31st March, and then one a day every weekday till we're done (Bank Holidays excepting). That sound okay? You've got a few days to start thinking of awesome things, and then we're off!


12 comments:

  1. It needn't be cross-cultural: the villain in Toho's 1966 film King Kong Escapes is called Doctor Who, and dresses like the Hartnell incarnation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is immediately my favourite fact in the history of human culture. Must figure out a way to get him into the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kamen Rider kicking Kikaider.

    Power Rangers passionately punching Pokemon.

    Digimon ditching Doraemon.

    This is gonna be a fun month! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to donate on payday, but my suggestion would be Keiko Panda kicking a Katamari to Kamen Rider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kelvin I love the thought of getting Keiko Panda in there, nice ;)

    @leeatard excellent suggestions there - love P and D especially!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astroboy assisting Amaterasu against Anguirus.

    Looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I've already suggested quite a few "B" options -

    Card Captor Sakura and Conan The Barbarian Chasing Cybermen Across Cimerria On Candy-Colored Chocobos

    Chun-Li Crushing Cutey Honey In A Cross-Time Cage Match On Cybertron (While Chi (from Chobits) and Cammy's Chatter Creates Color Commentary?)

    The Cheerful Cast of Cowboy Bebop Capturing A Completely Confused Catwoman

    Crying Cyborgs (Take your pick - half the cast of Ghost In The Shell, Jet Black, Cyborg from Teen Titans, et al) Clamoring To Escape Calamitous Cremation By A Cranky Charizard

    Curmudgeonly Catgirls (take your pick - Felicia from Darkstalkers, Cheetara, ect) Cornering Confused Cylon Caprica-Six And/Or C3-PO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ace Attorneys (the Phoenix Wright games) Ambushing an Amoral Akuma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gamera Gundam and Goku Going to Get Godzilla for Great Gummy bears (I blanked on a fun G for them to get)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Major Motoko meets many Monkey Men

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zeta Gundam Zooms past Mazinger Z in zealous zips?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting in early for "E"

    Emma Frost, Exhausted And Exasperated By Ed & Ein's Endless Enthusiasm For Education (from Cowboy Bebop)

    Excel (from Excel Saga) Excitedly Envying An Embarrassed Elvira And Empowered's Endowments

    The Eleventh Doctor (Enlarged To An Enormous Extent) Enforcing The Expatriation of An Enraged Escaflowne From Essex

    ReplyDelete